Slow performance over SMB/CIFS with macOS/Mac OS X clients? Lots of folks will chalk it up to SMB being a terrible protocol. But, there's actually a solution to this issue. Here's how to implement this change!
- TrueNAS SCALE 18.104.22.168
- macOS Sonoma 14.1
- Share for files
- Share for Time Machine backups
- Login to TrueNAS' web interface.
- Browse to System Settings > Services.
- On the row with SMB listed, click the edit (pencil) button.
- Click Advanced Settings.
- At the very bottom, find the Auxiliary Parameters section.
- Add the following line to that section:
strict sync = no
- Click Save.
- Click the toggle to stop SMB and then click the toggle again to start it.
- You may now connect your clients to the share. Performance should be much better!